Sunday, April 29, 2007

Carnivale - Right party, right time

You know, sometimes I am suspect of people who try to lure you to events etc. under the guise of 'Party!' or 'Free shit!' At uni, we know them well. I had a particular experience with Hillsong for example. By jove do they have recruitment downpat. I'm storming about at O-Week, actually more loitering about, and this fella, with exquisite afro, flanked by pure girl-next-door types, tries to cajole me to his tent. I am generally sceptical about such overt advances, being more of the 'I'll let my tent/organisation speak for itself/keep it real' platform. But this time its different. Not only does he look really 'cool', but he's holding a freaking playstation controller, facing a plasma TV, and inviting me to join him in a casual game of FIFA freaking 2007. Before I know it I'm over there arguing that it must be a day game and I'll wear the away kit, thankyou sir. He's got good talk too. He calls me 'man', is pretty relaxed, combines mild intellectual speak with a bit of a drawl that says 'I'm down with academia but doesn't get me buzzing'. You know, relating to me. It's 1 all and Phil Neville is storming down the right flank (I like to draw the defense wide), and afro man says casually: 'So man, how do you feel about God?' I say good evening and continue loitering about O-Week.

Other times, people use a party or entertainment properly to get an issue on the agenda. This is the case with Carnivale 2007. The party isn't a ruse or guise designed to rope you in to listening about a cultural and political issue, it is in fact the perfect medium for education and celebration of indigenous culture. In an age where Indigenous culture is primarily misunderstood and ignored, a musical celebration like this represents a common link for people to share.

One of my main men, JMB (who you'll find is in the place to be [potentially since 1993]), I believe, is trying to awaken a giant in the consciouness of Australians. While this metaphor may not be apt at all, the upcoming carnivale represents a brilliant opportunity for people to be part of something very real and, dare I say, a bit of a 'movement' that appears to be growing in profile. The quality of the gig is undoubted. Last year, Blue King Brown delivered an unbelievable set that will live long in the memory of those present. Amazing band. Since then, they've gone on to become favourites at the high-profile Falls and Blues festivals, and have just been announced in the first round of Splendour artists. Kid Confucius and TZU also represZISented that night and got the place jumping.

Carnivale - bring some game, listen to some hip hop, have a good time, and almost before you know it you'll have made the perfect contribution to a significant issue.

Peace and love from above.
yea

No comments: